WHY: SVRD is a one-day program to be held on October 6th in high schools across New York City to help students register to vote and educate them about civic participation.Eligible students will be registered to vote by the October 14th voter registration deadline in order to participate in this November’s Presidential Elections in November. The program will inspire and prepare all students to become active members of their communities beyond Election Day. SVRD was also held earlier this year in March and succeeded in registering 8,500 students. The program will be held bi-annually, with the goal of registering 10,000 students in 125 schools.
WHEN: Wednesday, October 5th at 11:15 a.m.
WHERE: City Hall Steps
- Chancellor Carmen Fariña, New York City Department of Education
- Council Member Helen Rosenthal
- Murad Awawdeh, Director of Political Engagement, New York Immigration Coalition
- Onida Coward Mayers, Director of Voter Assistance, NYC Votes
- Community-based organizations
Follow SVRD events and participate in the conversation on social media using the hashtag #YouthVoteNYC.